Because I am currently dealing with my blood sugar riding on a roller coaster (from 3 to 25), I have to be careful about what I eat. I always liked carrot cakes but I had to find a version without sugar and without flour if possible.
As I didn’t find exactly what I was looking for, I put together two recipes and added my own improvements. The result is here!
So, how to do it? You will need:
For the cake
- 2-3 large carrots (approx 250 g)
- 4 tbl spoons of oat flakes
- 2 tbl spoons of agave syrup (or any other you like)
- 3 eggs
- 1 tea spoon of baking powder
- 1 tea spoon of cinnamon
- dried dates and other fruits and nuts as you like
For the cream
- 100 g of cashew nuts (put them to water 24 hours in advance)
- 3 table spoons of lemon sauce
- 3 table spoons of agave syrup
- 1 table spoon of coconut oil
First, you need to chop the carrots finely and grind the oat flakes to a flour. Then separate yolks and the egg white. Whip the egg whites and mix the yolks with cinnamon.
As a next step mix the chopped carrots with the oat flakes flour, baking powder and cinnamon egg yolks. Add the dried fruits and syrup and in the end gently insert the whipped egg whites. Do not stir too much so the whipped egg whites don’t lose the volume. And that’s it! Put the dough to a baking form and bake on 180°C for 40 mins.
It’s yummy like this but to make it even better, I put a sour cream on top. For the cream you just need mix the cashew nuts together with the lemon sauce, agave syrup and coconut oil.